In your own space, ask for help. Need a beta? Always wanted to learn how to make a vid? a fanmix? icons? Maybe you’d want to have someone cheering for you while you work on an upcoming big bang or fannish bingo? Leave a comment in this post saying you did it. Include a link to your post if you feel comfortable doing so.
At first I wasn't sure I could do this one, because I couldn't think of anything I needed help with, but then I realised there are a couple. :D
1. I am kind of a control freak and would prefer to do ALL the things myself, but I have come to the point where I just really need someone or someones to help me out with the transfic master list. People are writing a lot of transfic! And because of the whole delicious situation, I didn't add anything new to the list for months, so now I'm super behind. I'm afraid to even look at the trans-related tags on AO3. >_< Anyway, so if anyone is up for helping me add stuff to pinboard, just let me know. It does take time, because not everything tagged as trans belongs on the list, and since I have tags for ftm and mtf and such, sometimes you have to read or skim the fics to see how they should be tagged, etc.
2. I am kind of interested in recording fic. Maybe. I suck majorly at reading out loud, so that is the main thing that has kept me from trying it. But maybe if I practice enough and am able to edit it. So, basically, what editing programs do podfic people on my flist recommend for someone who is 1. using Windows 7, and 2. has never used any sort of software like this before. Also, I don't have a microphone, so maybe this is not even possible in the first place. I was thinking of using the voice memo feature on my ipod. Is that a doable thing?Day 15
In your own space, share a favorite memory about fandom: the first time you got into fandom, the last time a fanwork touched your heart, wild times with fellow fans (whether on-line or off-line), a lovely comment you’ve received or have left for someone. Leave a comment in this post saying you did it. Include a link to your post if you feel comfortable doing so.
Wow, what to choose? I have a lot of fandom nostalgia! But I don't really have any specific memories I want to share, just ~feelings~ about what I consider the major periods of my fannish life.
1. My old Digmon messageboard. I love that 10+ years later I still get emails and comments from people who stumble upon me somewhere and want to tell me how much Megchan's Digimon Sekai meant to them. It meant a lot to me, too!
2. The old Vampire Chronicles messageboards. I got into VC fandom late, when Anne Rice had already tried to shut it down, and the tattered remains of the fandom were mostly underground. If I hadn't found the one last public messageboard when I did, I never would have made all the wonderful friends I made, because soon after I found it, it was shut down and all the fic and chat was taken to locked/hidden boards. I have never felt quite the same way about another fandom as I did with VC.
3. I know there are a lot of Fandom Wank-haters, but for me it was a gateway to the wider world of fandom. My first two fandoms (Digimon and Vampire Chronicles) were very isolated. It was when I started interacting with folks on LJ and reading FW that I met so many awesome people, many of whom are still on my flist to this day. I haven't hung out on FW in years and years, because it was never the same after Crystalwank, but those early days on LJ, Blurty, and JF are some of my happiest fannish memories.
4. The Establishment! Hollyweirdos! So much wank, guys. So much wank. But also so much fun. And without the wank, I don't think I would have become as close to the people I consider my closest fannish friends, so you know. There's that. :)
5. Dreamwidth! I consider Dreamwidth my fandom these days. I'm not really specifically into any particular fandoms, but I am into the people here, and the community here. It feels homey in a way LJ never did, even when I was a hardcore fan of LJ and loved it a lot.
And one more thing, since I just noticed the prompt talks about comments you received. I just got an awesome one yesterday. So many people in LJ/DW fandom hate on Fanfiction.net and are dismissive of it as having any redeeming qualities whatsoever. How often have I heard people say anyone who posts there must be a crap author? How many times I have heard people say that you only get crap comments there?
Now, there are lots of things I dislike about the site. I can't post all my fic there due to various restrictions on content, and their uploader sucks so much, but I am happy that I crosspost there. I get a steady stream of favoritings and, less often, comments (just as with AO3 I get more kudos than comments), and just like every other place I've posted fic, the quality of the comments varies. Some comments make me headdesk, but then some are really awesome.
I mentioned in day one of the challenge that I was surprised by the response my Big Bang Theory fic, The Best Day Ever
, has gotten, and it has been one of my most popular fics not just on AO3, but also on FFN. The comment I got yesterday said in part, "I don't think I'll ever watch the show again without thinking of this", which is just, wow. I love feedback like that so much. ♥